What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Don Lemon gets schooled on slavery and reparations.

WHO IS SERAFIN

Platinum Member

Best couple of minutes on cnn since the 90s when truth and facts were last repeated.

Tell that to every subject group who suffered under British rule....

t the height of the British Empire, just after the First World War, an island smaller than Kansas controlled roughly a quarter of the world’s population and landmass. To the architects of this colossus, the largest empire in history, each conquest was a moral achievement. Imperial tutelage, often imparted through the barrel of an Enfield, was delivering benighted peoples from the errors of their ways—child marriage, widow immolation, headhunting. Among the edifiers was a Devonshire-born rector’s son named Henry Hugh Tudor. Hughie, as he was known to Winston Churchill and his other chums, pops up so reliably in colonial outposts with outsized body counts that his story can seem a “Where’s Waldo?” of empire.

He’s Churchill’s garrison-mate in Bangalore in 1895—a time of “messes and barbarism,” the future Prime Minister complained in a note to his mum. As the century turns, Tudor is battling Boers on the veldt; then it’s back to India, and on to occupied Egypt. Following a decorated stint as a smoke-screen artist in the trenches of the First World War, he’s in command of a gendarmerie, nicknamed Tudor’s Toughs, that opens fire in a Dublin stadium in 1920—an assault during a search for I.R.A. assassins which leaves dozens of civilians dead or wounded. Prime Minister David Lloyd George delights in rumors that Tudor’s Toughs were killing two Sinn Féinners for every murdered loyalist. Later, even the military’s chief of staff marvelled at how nonchalantly the men spoke of those killings, tallying them up as though they were runs in a cricket match; Tudor and his “scallywags” were out of control. It didn’t matter: Churchill, soon to be Secretary of State for the Colonies, had Tudor’s back.

Imperial subjects, of course, sometimes found their own solutions to such problems. A hard-line British field marshal, atop the I.R.A. hit list, was gunned down in Belgravia in 1922. Tudor, worried he would be next, made himself scarce. By the following year, he and his Irish paramilitaries were propagating their tactics for suppressing natives in the British-controlled Mandate of Palestine, Churchill having decided that the violence-prone Tudor was just the fellow to train the colonial police. A letter from Tudor to Churchill that I recently came across crystallizes all the insouciance, cynicism, greed, callousness, and errant judgment of empire. He opens by telling Churchill that he’s just commanded his troops to slaughter Adwan Bedouins who had been marching on Amman to protest high taxes levied on them by their notoriously extravagant emir. This tribe was “invariably friendly to Great Britain,” Tudor writes, a touch ruefully. But, he adds, “politics are not my affair.”

Tudor had cheery news to impart, too. Not only could the Mandate be a “wonderful tourist country,” but prospectors had discovered vast sums’ worth of potash in the Dead Sea valley. Should Britain appropriate the resources and increase the policing budget, its difficulties in the region would “smooth out,” he told Churchill, assuring him that Palestinians would be easier to pacify than the Irish: “They are a different people, and it’s unlikely that the Arab if handled firmly will ever do much more than agitate and talk.”...

Queen Elizabeth II was a good and decent person but the British Empire she led at its' end has a couple hundred years worth of blood on its hands....
uju_anya.png

Why aren't people as outraged about slavery going on right now as they are about what happened over 100 years ago?

Why aren't people as outraged about slavery going on right now as they are about what happened over 100 years ago?
Unless we deal with past wrongs, how can we deal with the present?

Tell that to every subject group who suffered under British rule....

Queen Elizabeth II was a good and decent person but the British Empire she led at its' end has a couple hundred years worth of blood on its hands....
uju_anya.png

And that was just about every country that has risen and fallen throughout history. We need to start with reparations back 7000 years ago.😂

Why do you hate our ancient ancestors? Are you a ancestor racist? 🤔
I don't have it in me to hate anyone but I'll be damned if I'm giving anyone a pass for past actions; to me, "letting sleeping dogs lie" is as abominable a thought as what people used to do decades and centuries ago. If that means turning over every rock and letting the chips fall, fine.

And given your support for Donald Trump, you're in no position for talk about racism.

I don't have it in me to hate anyone but I'll be damned if I'm giving anyone a pass for past actions; to me,
100% a joke.

When you find out the very first civilization to win a war oppress another let me know, otherwise reparations goes in the top 10 ideas for stupid.

"letting sleeping dogs lie" is as abominable a thought as what people used to do decades and centuries ago.

That’s why you teach history to everyone because every group of people on this planet has ancestors either enslaved or oppressed.

If that means turning over every rock and letting the chips fall, fine.

Turn them over daily in school without a political agenda.

And given your support for Donald Trump, you're in no position for talk about racism.
Since he isn’t a racist just controversial unlike a current president who had several kkk members he liked to call friends, I’ll call certain UN-named people being hypocrites.

And I’ll bet when I was in charge of hundreds of millions in apartment complexes I have hired more people from other countries around the world, trained more people around the world for better job positions and have more close friends from people around the world than just about anyone in this forum.

They're going to get their reparations and it'll be so glorious watch.
reparations3.jpg

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom