What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

If someone stole your car and wrecked it?

MrDawn

Off Topix Legend

If someone stole your car and wrecked it, but the thief had a lapse in judgment and came to you and offered you cash to pay for the repairs, would you still go to the police & press charges? Why or why not?

yep.

a wrong doing is a wrong doing. it doesn't matter what happens afterwards, the fact it happened is enough

Depending upon the sob-story, and depending upon seeing cash-on-the-barrelhead; in almost all circumstances, "Yes."
I would not accept a "handshake deal"; I would assume that someone who would steal a car in the first place could not be trusted to fulfill a "handshake deal".

I feel like having a third party involved, in this case the cops, would be better suited. Lapse in judgement, yeah, it happens but those kinds of things will have consequences and cost you if you do them. What if the person who wrecked the car hurt someone else?
Also, how much cash are they forking over? Could be it is less than the repairs cost and that certainly won't do. I would press charges.

Yeah, you have to report it. Theft is theft and even if it's a nice person that did it, others are bound to have at least called in the accident.

If someone stole your car and wrecked it, but the thief had a lapse in judgment and came to you and offered you cash to pay for the repairs, would you still go to the police & press charges? Why or why not?

That is a good question! :ponder:

If I didn't accept their offer, they know where I live and they are a criminal, I might fear retaliation for me turning them in.

If I did accept their offer I would worry that it was a scam and they wouldn't come through with the funds and I'd never see them again. Would they just be handing me a random amount of cash or would they come with me to the repair shop and the auto-body shop for estimates?

I dunno what I would do.

:explode:

Hell yeah I would press charges. That's not just a car...that's transportation. That's my means to get to work and would affect my life deeply. I am fortunately to have a free public transportation pass from work, but it not having a car would increase my commute time tremendously, and it would increase the danger I would be in given how lawless some people have become here. The last thing I want to do is get stabbed just riding the bus or the Max.

I'd wonder what the cash was for, because I don't own a car :p .

But hypothetically, if I did own a car, and this did happen to it... yeah, I'd still press charges. Even if the thief did offer to cover the monetary costs of the repairs, they'd still have: a) wasted my time; b) caused me unnecessary stress; and c) inconvenienced me while I was unable to use the car.

I would definitely file a police report because my insurance company would still need to know the details if I want to keep them as my insurers. You can't just do the handshake anymore.

I'd be livid over it of course but I wouldn't go to the police. I'd get a legal contract drafted up that can be enforced in case they don't keep their promise. Even though it's riskier, I would chance it over dealing with the police, court, and insurance premium increases, for many reasons. What are the odds a second thief would try to pull the same crap in my lifetime.. so I'll give them a shot to redeem themselves. It's just material things and helping someone learn to be accountable is worth it to me. Unfortunate that it had to happen to me but such is life sometimes.

So you get the payout/fix, and then the police show up saying there's traffic cam footage showing your car ran someone over...or robbing a convenience store where the clerk was shot...
Someone I knew ran over a high curb, which cracked their oil pan and they had to pay for "remediation" of the spilled oil.
Yeah, not going to accept the offer.

yep.

a wrong doing is a wrong doing. it doesn't matter what happens afterwards, the fact it happened is enough
you answered 1 of 3 possible questions with "yep"?!?

i had the same care stolen FOUR times. it was a '64 Chevy Impala... NOT fabulous or valuable. but it was MY car. yes, would still want the THIEF arrested!

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom