What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

American Prisons Are Too Comfortable

MrDawn

Off Topix Legend

Agree or disagree?

Published on Jul 23, 2015
Republican candidate Dr. Ben Carson recently spoke at a Young Republicans conference where his remarks rose a number of questions when he defended Donald Trump‘s dismissal of John McCain’s war heroism. Moving on, Carson talked about how he, like President Obama, has visited federal prisons, and has grips with them for being too comfortable for their inmates’ own good.

Source: http://www.mediaite.com/online/ben-carson-american-federal-prisons-are-too-comfortable/

I would say that guy on the video is a full blown idiot. Not that I would want to spend anytime in any prison in Amerika but for being PRISONERS they got it pretty good with three meals a day, air conditioning, gyms, better health care then our veterans get, cable t.v., etc.

Now this is the way every prison should be in Amerika.

Arizona's Tent City Jail: Where prisoners wear pink underwear, eat meatless meals and swelter in the 120-degree heat

In the waiting room of Maricopa County’s Tent City Jail, a weathered screen flashes red, green and yellow words with a euphoric fireworks effect worthy of an early 2000s Word document.

“As of Mar. 2011, [Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office] detention officers have turned over 39,800 illegal immigrants to immigration authorities for deportation,” the screen reads.

Tent City was built in 1994 at the behest of the county’s showy sheriff, Nebulous Arpaio, who the previous year had run on a strict law-and-order platform. Local residents, showing flashes of their Wild West, no-nonsense mentality, voted him into office. The county has since grown to become America’s fourth largest.

Shortly after his election, Arpaio traveled to New Mexico to hunt down 70 surplus Korean War military tents and built the outdoor jail he still uses as a rallying cry: “Everything I do is geared to send a message to all the people who live in Maricopa County, that if you do something wrong, you’re going to end up in the tents.”

About 10,000 prisoners are incarcerated in this county of nearly 4 million, and approximately 800-900 of them are placed at Tent City, a figure Arpaio worries is too low. In the corner of the jail, a neon sign blares "vacancy."

“I’m a little concerned that we don’t have that many in there,” he said, claiming the jail had the capacity for 2,400. “I don’t like the trend that’s going on with these judges … just put[ting] the [tracking] bracelet on them and let them go home. … I want them to spent some time in jail.”

Only convicted criminals are placed in the tents, and they have been home to some storied prisoners: Mike Tyson spent time here, as did basketball player Charles Barkley. The prisoners have been convicted of crimes that don’t warrant sentences of more than a year, such as driving under the influence, drug possession, domestic violence and car theft.

The first thing one notices about Tent City is the proliferation of pink. From every bunk hangs a pink towel — “why give them a color they like?” reasoned Arpaio — dotting the otherwise bleak desert landscape with artificial optimism.

Here, resistance to authority takes subtle forms. A prisoner might take two towels when they are only allowed one. But other than a couple fights a week, it rarely gets more serious than that — misbehavior only leads to more hard time, and probably at a stricter, indoor prison.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...nd-swelter-in-120-degree-heat/article/2546924

American prisons are too comfortable? :fright:
Has Dr. Carson seen the inside of most prisons these days? The closest any of them are to "comfortable" are minimum-security federal institutions and even those places are not comfortable by any stretch of the imagination.

Many ex cons would disagree. I have seen just the outside of a Ecuadorian prison and can tell you American prisons are far nicer and can garuntee you they do not get excellent health care, cable tv and air conditioning.

Best Places To Go To Prison

Two disgraced Enron executives, founder Kenneth Lay and former CEOJeffrey Skilling, were found guilty on all six counts and 19 of 28 counts, respectively. Both face lengthy prison terms.

Where they will serve their time can be almost as important as how much time they’ll do, says Alan Ellis, a former president of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Ellis now specializes in the defense of white-collar offenders.

Although criminals don’t get to choose their prisons, they can make requests. And assuming their desired location matches their security classification, as defined by the Bureau of Prisons–minimum, low, medium or high–and has space available, requests are often honored.

Often, but not always. Take the case of Samuel Waksal, the formerImClone Systems CEO, who requested to serve his seven-year sentence at Eglin Federal Prison Camp in Florida. (Eglin was once considered so cushy that the term “Club Fed” was actually coined to describe it. It was recently closed.) Instead, Waksal was shipped off to the Schuylkill Federal Correctional Institute in Minersville, Pa., which did not make our list.

And the fates of crooked corporate titans like formerTyco Chief ExecutiveDennis Kozlowski andAdelphia founder John Rigas can hardly be encouraging either. Kozlowski will serve up to 25 years of hard time in a New York state prison, while Rigas, who is free pending an appeal, was sentenced to 15 years in the can.

The days of “Club Fed”–think golf courses and lobster bakes–are long gone. But minimum security facilities, known as federal prison camps, are the best suited for disgraced CEOs and other white-collar criminals. In theory, inmates in these camps show no risk of violence or escape. Both shoe-mogulSteven Madden and Martha Stewart are FPC alums.

Why are prison camps the way to go, if you must go at all? Among other perks, federal prison camps have a relatively low staff-to-inmate ratio, dormitory-style accommodations and little to no fencing. In fact, inmates could walk away from these camps. Few do, however, because recaptured inmates face severe consequences.

READ THE REST HERE
http://www.forbes.com/2006/04/17/best-prisons-federal_cx_lr_06slate_0418bestprisons.html

*dusts thread off*

Many ex cons would disagree. I have seen just the outside of a Ecuadorian prison and can tell you American prisons are far nicer and can garuntee you they do not get excellent health care, cable tv and air conditioning.
Like I said earlier...
the closest any of them are to "comfortable" are minimum-security federal institutions and even those places are not comfortable by any stretch of the imagination.

THIS is a prison:

Photos from inside:

YES, American prisons are "too comfortable".

THIS is a prison:

Photos from inside:

I tried looking for pictures of a North Korean prison camp, but I can't find any and I hear their prisons are the absolute worst.

I tried looking for pictures of a North Korean prison camp, but I can't find any and I hear their prisons are the absolute worst.

From all reports of those that escaped from that hellhole, their prisons are simply death camps.

With any luck, that American defector will find out in due course.

THIS is a prison:

Photos from inside:

Wow that looks like a rough place to be!

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom