What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Do you really need college/university education?

"How to Learn".
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

You don't. Trade schools exist and a well trained tradesman is invaluable. I spent a few years at community college because everyone told me I HAD to go to college. It just wasn't for me.

Later I went to school for HVAC and got my certificate. Now I fix air conditioners, furnaces, and heat pumps. I make a pretty decent wage.

I made the mistake of secondary education, got a masters degree, but it's not benefited me in any way having that piece of paper, so no, it's not really worth it, IMO.

I made the mistake of secondary education, got a masters degree, but it's not benefited me in any way having that piece of paper, so no, it's not really worth it, IMO.
A lot of work places are fighting with colleges because colleges tell students that they should ask for X amount of salary once they get their degree. Business' are now saying "nope" to everything colleges are saying and training people without college degrees and paying those people less than college students would be making just because they can.

A lot of work places are fighting with colleges because colleges tell students that they should ask for X amount of salary once they get their degree. Business' are now saying "nope" to everything colleges are saying and training people without college degrees and paying those people less than college students would be making just because they can.
If they could get the training and skills without a degree, why would anyone want to waste their time and money going to a college? Most of these 4 year degrees could be done in less than half the time but they just have to have their tuition.

If I could do it over, I'd never have wasted my time on college, so yeah, makes sense for businesses to look beyond a piece of paper

I haven't gone to college, personally. I couldn't even finish high school. I think I'd like to go, but it's expensive and there are reasons it might not be the best choice for everyone.

Because I'm still in debt from that, I have nothing to show for it, and I can learn everything I learned in college on the internet. So...wasted money, wasted time, honestly.
A lot of colleges make it difficult for people to pay their debts. I see why. They get more money selling it off to debt collectors who often buy 5 percent of it. My ex wife's college debt went to 3 different debt collectors who harassed us. Last I checked when we divorced, she had 19 thousand of it left to pay.

A lot of colleges make it difficult for people to pay their debts. I see why. They get more money selling it off to debt collectors who often buy 5 percent of it. My ex wife's college debt went to 3 different debt collectors who harassed us. Last I checked when we divorced, she had 19 thousand of it left to pay.
Yep, it's all money spinning.

Yep, it's all money spinning.
While I know college is a choice, I still feel like they take advantage of today's youth who can't afford to go by burying them into a mound of debt that they won't be able to pay off. That is just unacceptable to me.

While I know college is a choice, I still feel like they take advantage of today's youth who can't afford to go by burying them into a mound of debt that they won't be able to pay off. That is just unacceptable to me.
They absolutely do. Pressure, pressure, pressure, go to college, get the job, get the women, buy the car.

They absolutely do. Pressure, pressure, pressure, go to college, get the job, get the women, buy the car.
I think a lot of it is the parents and the high school pushing kids to go for college. They give this whole "if you want a future, go to college" bullshit speech that they preach about all of the time and it's pretty untrue. A lot of people don't go to college and they make a lot of money and are well off.

I think a lot of it is the parents and the high school pushing kids to go for college. They give this whole "if you want a future, go to college" bullshit speech that they preach about all of the time and it's pretty untrue. A lot of people don't go to college and they make a lot of money and are well off.
As always, Jon Oliver comes in and smashes the topic on the nose:

I didn't go to college and I live a comfortable life. I make as much or more than people I know with college degrees. I own a nice house, drive a nice car, life is good.

To succeed in life? Depends on your definition of success. In my opinion, no, you do not need a college education. However, I do feel like a person should further their education regardless of what they wish to study. Higher education usually leads to more development, and the moment you stop learning is the moment you are no longer living.

You need one thing that isn't really taught at modern schools, either public or private, primary, secondary, or higher....

"How to Learn".
And common sense; don't forget common sense.

Do you need really a college education?

Yes and no. Most things that college will teach you, you can learn on your own with hands on experience if the company truly cared enough to do so. I do think there are certain specialty careers where college education makes sense and is required, though.

Look at firefighting, for them it's 50/50. It's not the exact same thing, but my point is, there are a lot of departments that will let you come in with zero experience, zero knowledge and zero training, and they will train you! In fact, some will even pay for you to go to a fire school. College degrees are just like high school diplomas, pointless. They are wall decorations that you can show off.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom