What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Sterilization Rates Increase Following Fall of Roe v. Wade

Webster

Retired Snark Master
Administrator

(The Guardian) Sterilization rates rise following overturning of Roe v Wade - study
With Kamala Harris set to visit Tucson, Arizona, on Friday to explicitly blame Donald Trump as the “architect” of the abortion rights crisis, a new study has revealed that the rate of sterilizations in the US has jumped following the supreme court’s overturn of Roe v Wade.

The Guardian’s Jessica Glenza reports: Rates of people seeking permanent contraception – such as tubal ligation or vasectomies – shot up after the supreme court overturned Roe v Wade in 2022, in the Dobbs decision.

Although both procedures increased, the rate of increase was double for tubal ligations, commonly known as a woman getting her “tubes tied”. “The major difference in patterns of these two procedures likely reflects the fact that young women are overwhelmingly responsible for preventing pregnancy,” Jacqueline Ellison, assistant professor in the department of health policy and management at the Pitt School of Public Health in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, said in a release.

on Friday to explicitly blame Donald Trump as the “architect” of the abortion rights crisis
lol what a crock of shit. We've been having an abortion crisis in this country since long before Trump ever won the election. George W Bush heavily opposed it 20 years ago when he became president and before him there were presidents that hated on it all the way back to the 60's.

cIbmycd.gif

lol what a crock of shit. We've been having an abortion crisis in this country since long before Trump ever won the election. George W Bush heavily opposed it 20 years ago when he became president and before him there were presidents that hated on it all the way back to the 60's.

cIbmycd.gif
Don't BMW at me over it; blame those six geniuses on the Supreme Court.

I have been 'sterilized' but not specifically because I don't want children (I don't). Endometriosis stage IV and adenomyosis (along with a whole host of other horse shit) made that decision for me, but I do not want children so it was a kill two birds with one stone kind of thing that I think it's perfectly reasonable. If men can get vasectomies without hesitation from their health care providers, women should be able to do the respective procedure and not have to worry about being falsely accused of being a murderer or irresponsible.

blame those six geniuses on the Supreme Court.
I swear some of our politicians aren't very smart. Reminds me of when that one joker said Hitler never used chemical warfare lol

I've seen this article myself and honestly it doesn't surprise me that this has become the case. After all, a lot of the reasons people needed Roe v. Wade weren't just for personal preference but also safety. I've seen some pretty crazy new laws go into effect because of the changes, such as ones that make it an even bigger struggle to get help when it involves certain things I don't feel comfortable saying directly because they're triggering and this is a public forum.

That said... It really isn't much of a surprise. The fact I haven't done it myself regardless is more surprising to me. I've had questionable diagnoses with endometriosis (some doctors said I have it, some said those doctors were wrong because they didn't use surgical methods to check, etc) and have had hormonal issues in general my whole life. :D

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom