What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Announcement Welcome to Off Topix! (formerly known as Wober Discussion Community)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebulous

Maintenance Man
Administrator
Founder

Hello,

I am pleased to announce the official launch of Off Topix! We're a laid back, down to earth general discussion community where everyone is welcome!

As you can tell by looking around, this isn't a new community. It has some history, originally launching as the Wober Discussion Community almost 13 years ago! Wober was a thriving community from 2009 until 2016. If you were around back then you might remember me as theezy or Joe. I am the founder of Wober and was very active in the forum scene back in the day. Before Wober I ran another large forum called Forum Advertiser, a forum where webmasters could promote their current projects and network with other forum admins. I have several years of forum administration experience under my belt and after a 6 year hiatus I have decided to jump back in the saddle!

Regarding Wober's closure, back in 2016 I was starting to become burned out on running the forum. I also had some personal issues I was struggling with. I decided to close the forum and exit the forum world entirely. I deleted all the forum files from our host, stopped paying the hosting bill and let the domain name expire. I deleted all the Wober forum backups I had saved on my computer. I closed all the email accounts that I used to join forums and maintain my accounts. I deleted all my passwords to anything forum related. I pretty much hit the self-destruct button on my whole online persona. Since then, during these last 6 years, I feel like I've grown as a person. I am a little older, wiser and more patient. I realize that I could have handled Wober's closure better and I sincerely apologize to anyone who was hurt or upset by my actions.

Lets fast forward to 2022. A month or two ago I was doing some organizing around the house and I stumbled upon a flash drive in a box in my closet. I was curious as to what was on it so I plugged it into my computer. To my surprise there was a August 2015 backup of Wober on there (mixed in with all my other files from back then). All this time I thought Wober was long gone and deleted forever... but it wasn't!

I debated with myself on what to do with the newly discovered backup. After a couple weeks of thinking on the subject I finally came to the conclusion that I could use a new hobby and got to work on restoring the forum. Since the old wober.net domain is currently owned by someone else, I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to rebrand and relaunch this community using an amazing new domain name I purchased, offtopix.com.

As part of the rebranding process I have ran a few Find/Replace SQL queries on the database. All instances of the word "Wober" have been replaced with "Off Topix" in all areas of the forum. This will help out with search engine indexing and will alleviate any potential confusion from new members reading old threads who have never heard of Wober. We have launched Off Topix with the latest release of the XenForo software. Please review the topics in our
Announcements & Information forum for tutorials and information on all the new features and functions we have to offer.

I am excited about the future of this community and look forward to interacting with everyone once again. To all Wober members who had an account on or before August 12, 2015 your account has been preserved and you are welcome to login and start exploring the community once again. You may need to reset your password. If you need any help getting into your account, please email OffTopixForum@gmail.com and I’ll be more than happy to assist you.

Thanks for reading and welcome back!

:grouphug:

Welcome back, I sure did miss you and all the mistakes that I made when I was in the old forum, well I have got older and wiser but still stupid, I shall start to explore here again, and Thanks for the restart.

Welcome back, I sure did miss you and all the mistakes that I made when I was in the old forum, well I have got older and wiser but still stupid, I shall start to explore here again, and Thanks for the restart.
Welcome back man I hope you find it enjoyable

Thank you everyone! There’s so many great memories here on this community and I’m glad we’re back up and running. We’re here to stay this time around!

:w::heart2:

Oh I remember this community! I never got around to joining it back then though sadly... I'm happy you've decided to bring it back and I'm happy I finally joined!

Oh I remember this community! I never got around to joining it back then though sadly... I'm happy you've decided to bring it back and I'm happy I finally joined!

Thanks! I remember seeing you around forums back in the day.

Crazy to think I was using these forums when I was 13. I'm 28 now and so much has changed. It's been fun reading through some old threads.

Crazy to think I was using these forums when I was 13. I'm 28 now and so much has changed. It's been fun reading through some old threads.

Nice to see you again @Peaceful! Looks like you joined this forum 6 days after it was created!

:party:

Nice to see you again @Peaceful! Looks like you joined this forum 6 days after it was created!

:party:
That's nuts to think about. But then also makes me feel even older hahah. Welcome everyone I hope that you enjoy your stay here. It's nice and refreshed. :)

Welcome back. Looking forward to posting with all of you.

Okay, so I checked my old e-mail and found two mails in my spam folder, both from Wober.net / Off Topix forum. At first I was like huh, who, what, when, how, but when I saw my username, I had an Obi-Wan Kenobi moment:

3z4Raru.gif

What surprised me even more is that I immediately remembered my password, so here I am, reporting as summoned.

Sooo, hello, I guess. :hi:

because it's time to wake and do your stuff, rebel I say, and proceed forward unto your duty.

Welcome back. I remember your sudden closure and disappearing from the forum world we were in. It sure were better days than today. Funny how you found that flash and restarted the forum. We can use some good forums nowadays. So cheers and welcome back Joe. We're all grown up now though. :p Well sometimes.

Welcome back. I remember your sudden closure and disappearing from the forum world we were in. It sure were better days than today. Funny how you found that flash and restarted the forum. We can use some good forums nowadays. So cheers and welcome back Joe. We're all grown up now though. :p Well sometimes.
Thank you! It’s good to be back :dance:

I know forums aren't the totally 'in thing' much... I am still glad some stayed around and exist! It's good to be back here.

It’s crazy to be back. I’m 31 years old, married, and have a full time career. I was a child last time I posted here. Glad to see so many familiar faces. I guess it’s time to catch up?

It’s crazy to be back. I’m 31 years old, married, and have a full time career. I was a child last time I posted here. Glad to see so many familiar faces. I guess it’s time to catch up?
Welcome back adult version of @Karrit! Good to meet you!

:p :w2:

Dang, this brings back so many memories. Looking at my post history I apparently wasn't very active for very long when we switched to Wober.

The mid 2000s was a wild time on the internet.

Dang, this brings back so many memories. Looking at my post history I apparently wasn't very active for very long when we switched to Wober.

Oh I completely agree with you!

:w2: Glad to see you again!

Yeah in the mid 2000s forums were at their peak. There's still an interest in them now, but not like back then.

:w2: Glad to see you again!

Yeah in the mid 2000s forums were at their peak. There's still an interest in them now, but not like back then.
We certainly were a different breed back then that is for sure. I am shocked that they died off so abruptly but also not surprised.

Hello everyone. I joined this forum quite some time ago. Brings back some good memories from the forum era. Forums still serve an important purpose so it’s great to see that you’re giving it another shot. Also nice to see some familiar names :)

Hello everyone. I joined this forum quite some time ago. Brings back some good memories from the forum era. Forums still serve an important purpose so it’s great to see that you’re giving it another shot. Also nice to see some familiar names :)
Welcome back! I remember you :dance:

How have you been?

While I am happy you're back, I really wish you hadn't leaked my email to everyone else you sent that email to.

While I am happy you're back, I really wish you hadn't leaked my email to everyone else you sent that email to.
Welcome back!
:doh: I realized that right after I sent it. If emails had an 'Unsend' feature, I would have immediately unsent it. I accidently put recipients in the 'To' line instead of the 'BCC' line. My apologies. Won't happen again.

Thankfully, the email you received was only sent out to to 1/3rd of the original Wober members and many of those email accounts are dead/expired (which I am sure you're aware of, you probably saw all the mailer-daemon/address-not-found notices when you hit reply-all to that email).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom